Monday, July 2, 2012

Mystic Siquijor


I was invited recently to visit Siquijor Island to be part of a team tasked to train local leaders in political mobilization and communications.

Since it would be my first trip to the island famous for its rural legends like the manananggal and manggagamot, I consciously put any judgement about the island and its people prior to my visit, although I made a research about what Siquijor province and its six municipalities can offer a tourist cum trainer like me.

I discovered an island rich with the bounties of the seas and the mountains and a people with a history which they can be proud of.

Here are some of the photos I took while visiting the island.




This is what the century-old church looks from the inside.







The photos below are taken outside of the Siquijor church.




The marker posted outsideof the church indicating a short history of
Siquijor church.





In Siquijor, foodies can experiment with different flavors from the sea or enjoy
local and traditional roasted pig. There are also island-grown vegetables and fruits.


Above is Saang, a local shell with delicious meat prepared by simply 
pouring boiling water over it. After eating, you can bring home the shell as sourvenirs.



Fresh fish cooked with local ingredients. Sarap!!1



Above is my favorite, gelatinous rice eaten with hot chocolate.


Mangoes organically grown in the island are sold in the farmers market 
near the Siquijor municipal hall.




This roasted pig must have enjoyed the way it was cooked as the lechon 
baboy was smiling before it was eaten.


I found myself and several friends enjoying the beach sans the tourists
It was great that way, we were able to enjoy the beauty of the beach, 
the clear waters without the hassle of other tourists. The place may not
look, smell, or sound like Boracay but it surely has its own beauty which
I will not exchange for free-trip to the now over-rated beach of Kalibo.








These dogs greeted us when we visited the secluded beach.






22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thanks for the comment!!! It was really a bucolic place with great views of the sea.

      Delete
  2. your pics made the place enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to visit Siquijor one day

    ReplyDelete
  4. the beach photos are enticing :) nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a great post about Siquihorror, este Siquijor. But Seriously is no non-sense at all. One if not the best island in the Philippines! :)

    http://etc.soundsfunny.ws/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where does that legend even come from? Somebody should make a documentary about Philippine urban legends seriously! XD

    I love your photos. It would be better to make them a little bit larger. I'm left squinting at it. *lol*

    Wow that Saang dish looks interesting. How do you get the meat though. Does it come off easily?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the photos larger as you requested. Eating saang is like eating giant kuhols, you pick the meat out of the shell using toothpicks but this time one uses forks.

      Delete
  7. i want to slap myself for missing the chance to visit Siquijor when i went home. ive been wanting to go there for ages. this is top priority for the next visit!!! Oh beautiful mystical Siquijor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only thing I heard about Siquijor is about the rural legends..Glad you shared your photos so that I can see the beauty of this mystic island:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for giving us a trip to Siquijor through your photos. i love the cleanliness and the clear sky of the province.

    Just Love Blogging

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I want to visit Siquijor. I hear they have great beaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the island do have fabulous beaches with clear water and fantastic views.

      Delete
  11. Nice!! I want to try their mangoes! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice photos. Those are beautiful pics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like most----the last photo. Maganda din talaga ang Siquijor. Sarap ng shells lalong lalo na pag na i-dip sa tuyo na may sili.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice photos! I should visit the place with my family :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely place... though the effects of your photos made siquior creepier than it was before.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Kung may madugong pagtutol, puna o kaya ay trip ninyo lang magtanong, mag-email sa walalangblogs@gmail.com